Ungating on Amazon: Learn the Why, the How, and Get Ungated
Are you struggling to understand what Amazon wants and needs for ungating in certain categories, subcategories, brands, ASINs, or condition types? Wonder no more!
For those who want to have a go of it on their own, our course lays out all of the types of ungating in detail, and provides complete instructions on how to prepare your account and your documents to get ungated.
But first, is your account even ready for this?
Every seller must meet the minimum Amazon Seller Performance metrics as stated below, otherwise they will be rejected immediately.
- Seller must be registered for the Amazon Professional Seller Plan.
- Seller must have a pre-fulfill cancel rate less than 2.5%.
- Seller must have a order defect rate less than 1%.
- Seller must have a late shipment rate less than 4%.
Alright, so your metrics are in the right place; what do you need help with?
Various subcategories require documentation to be ungated. We have the compliance experience and know-how to prepare you for any of them.
- Certificate of Analysis (COA) – refers to a format that shows adherence to all FDA (Food & Drug Administration) requirements for the product. This is usually produced by a qualified third party, typically a laboratory, although a consultant can prepare the certificate based on third party laboratory testing.
- Children’s Product Certificate (CPC) – refers to a format that shows adherence to all CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) requirements for the children’s product. This is a self certification done annually based on third party laboratory testing.
- General Certificate of Conformity (GCC) – refers to a format that shows adherence to any other CPSC requirements for which a GCC might be required. This is a self certification done annually based on third party laboratory testing.
- Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) – Good Manufacturing Practice is the Quality Assurance that ensures products are consistently produced and controlled to the quality standards appropriate for their intended use and conform to the regulatory requirements stipulated by health authorities – this is a facility level document
- FDA Orange Book – The publication Approved Drug Products with Therapeutic Equivalence Evaluations (commonly known as the Orange Book) identifies drug products approved on the basis of safety and effectiveness by the FDA under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act and related patent and exclusivity information.
Dietary Supplements, Topicals, Cosmetics, Mobility Aids, and multiple other subcategories are regulated by FDA and typically a COA is the simplest document to produce. Amazon’s goal is to ensure compliance, first and foremost, so we recommend not just following these compliance procedures to get ungated, but also with all of the products you sell in these regulated niches.
Products requiring a CPC (Children’s Product Certificate), such as Kid’s and Baby Furniture follow much the same process, but they are regulated by the CPSC and the document required must be backed up by product testing from an accredited laboratory. Typically, testing must be renewed annually and your certificate updated. You must keep copies of these documents for 7 years.
For most subcategories, the fee to be ungated by Amazon is $3000. If your submission is approved, Amazon reaches out to you after a few days with wire transfer instructions.
You will receive guidance on how to find suppliers, how to review your documents to ensure completeness, and examples of good documents.
Disclaimer: Dietary Supplements or Topicals are subcategories only. If the ASIN you want to list is brand or ASIN gated, that is a separate process to manage.
The course covers category ungating, subcategory ungating, and more! And, you can ask questions and get answers from our expert team!
Actually, I'm already a student...
What if you take our course and get stuck?
No problem! We offer compliance consultation to get you back on track. We promise responses to all emails within 2 business days, and our typical turnaround time once documentation has been received is 2-4 days to facilitate your submission. The challenge for many of our clients is finding a supplier who is qualified to supply a COA or that they must do laboratory testing to be able to self-certify with the CPC or GCC.
We have to reiterate this critical aspect of the process – you must already have suppliers lined up to work with for us to review their documents. Our ungating process is not a sourcing service and we do not submit generic documents on your behalf.
No other company has employees who used to work in Amazon’s Compliance department reviewing your compliance documents for ungating! You know you’re working with the best when you choose Cascadia.